A few months ago I collaborated with my younger brother again, this time on a t-shirt design. If you’re new here, my brother, Gabriel, is a talented musician who has played all over Roanoke and other parts of Virginia with a host of other talented musicians. I’ve also worked with him on the design of his business card, debut album, and a few gig posters (Blues for the Holidays / A Brief History of the Blues). Check out his website for more info: www.gabemoralesmusic.com
Our goal for the design was to create something simple, but bold. We eventually went with this pedal board design. I drew it by hand in ink first and then turned it into a vector. I was able to play with textures and patterns inside of the geometric shapes and then Gabriel played around with the color scheme and placement of the text.
The design was printed on soft white cotton t-shirts by local printing company, Press Press Merch. For now you can purchase a shirt at any of Gabriel’s shows, but they will be available online soon. Click here to view his upcoming shows.
Thanks for reading! xoxo
I’m currently preparing for a new semester of classes, which includes preparing to write my thesis…which is crazy. At this point last year, I had no idea what my thesis would look like or if I would be prepared for it when the time came. When I compare all the work I’ve made in just the past few months, let alone the past few years, it seems as if I don’t know what I’m doing. And sometimes I truly don’t. At times I couldn’t decide which medium to use, whose advice to listen to, or what to make. What I’ve learned recently is actually something that I already knew. I had to work through all that uncertainty to get where I am now. I had to try out different mediums and follow up on advice I was given and make a bunch of stuff that I wasn’t satisfied with. And now I feel a lot more certain of the work I’m making.
Anyway, the images below are documentation of one of those paths I ventured down. I experimented with layering, manipulating, and mechanical reproduction via photocopier. The process was incredibly satisfying and I’m very happy I spent last summer creating these pieces. One day I might return to them…we’ll see.
The next few images were taken as I prepared for our summer open studios. You can see the number of pieces on the wall dwindling as I removed the less successful ones.
I played around a lot with the density feature on the photocopier. And I say ‘played’ because it was surprisingly a lot of fun to just stand at the copier like a scientist adjusting different parts of the process and layering random materials on my drawings.
Until next time! xoxo
Untitled (Madame Insulin in Red)
Linoleum, ink, paper
11″ x 14″