This past Friday I attended the Award Reception for the 2015 Roanoke College Biennial in Salem, VA. I had two pieces accepted into the show, which was juried by arts writer and curator Doug McClemont. There were so many great pieces included in the show and there was a great turnout for the reception. Read more
Untitled (Madame Insulin in Red)
Linoleum, ink, paper
11″ x 14″
I’ve been making work about diabetes for a few years now and I’ve explored several different materials and approaches along the way. During this time, I’ve encountered several challenges. Aside from dealing with the occasional emotional obstacles, I’ve struggled to guide this body of work in one direction and instead have branched off what feels like endlessly. It’s a complicated feeling because I do want to explore this subject as thoroughly as I can, but doing so also leads me to feel like I’m starting lots of different things and not spending enough time on any of them because I keep moving on to something else. I don’t know. It’s hard to explain.
Last week I had my first studio visit with my mentor for school and it was so helpful. In Chicago I was able to get feedback from other artists at pretty much any moment so it was sort of a difficult transition to go from that to having little access to feedback again. My mentor gave me a few assignments and some questions to ponder over and I’m very excited to get started.
Last week I also started teaching an after school art class for Roanoke City. This means I will be teaching five to six different classes every week for a couple months. The kids were great and I’m looking forward to working with them every week :]
I’m working on so many different things right now. Here are two!
More sugar painting
A special self-portrait…
I’m also working on a commissioned painting, some show submissions, and a secret side project! More info soon. Thanks for reading!
Off My Meds
25″ x 28″
Mixed Media (liquid medicine + watercolor + acrylic)
Read more about this piece HERE
I painted on Yupo paper for the first time when I was in middle school and I thought it was such a cool surface to work with. I didn’t use it again until recently when I was in Chicago. I was shopping around for a variety of surfaces to experiment on and I was immediately drawn to the Yupo paper. You can get some really cool effects on this non-absorbent surface. I plan on doing a lot more work with it.
8″ x 8″
Acrylic + Ink
8″ x 8″
Acrylic + Ink
8″ x 8″
Acrylic + Ink
While I was in Chicago, I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of feedback I received and consequently the number of ideas I had for my work. I wasn’t sure which path to go down and which method best suited my goals. This is how I was feeling when I had a studio visit with Gregg Bordowitz, the program director. I discussed my struggles with him, as well as my goals. He gave me tons of great advice, including one piece that became a major turning point for me.
About a week or two earlier, I had gone to a fabric shop and picked up this piece of bright red-orange polyester material from a clearance bin. I wasn’t sure what I would do with it, I was just drawn to the color. I hung it up in my studio like this for a while and didn’t touch it. During my meeting with Gregg, we looked at the material as we discussed creating a “yes” wall. His instructions were as follows: 1) For 3 or 4 days, say “yes” to everything. 2) The next day, say “no.” Cover things up and make conscious decisions about what you want to include. I was really excited to try it out and decided to use the red-orange material since it was already something I’ve never used before.
I had a lot of fun at first. I drew a large figure without worrying about proportions. I didn’t plan, I just painted. The fabric absorbed the paint quickly so I had to change the way I usually paint. The process was quick and pretty crude. I was happy with the piece so far and didn’t really want to add anything else, but it was my “yes” wall, so I forced myself to do more.
I added more things and started to like it less and feel stuck. I started becoming concerned with the composition and I thought that I had already put too many colors so I stepped away from it for a few days and worked on other things. I guess at this point I wasn’t following the directions anymore.
When I did come back to it, I was in the zone. I used different materials and added text, numbers, shapes, images, and texture. By the time I “finished”, it had become my favorite piece from the whole summer. I’m really proud of it.
Here is a list of the materials I used: acrylic paint (liquid, heavy bodied, and soft bodied), ink, oil pastel, oil stick, clear plastic, liquid watercolor, diabetic socks, medical tape, and thumbtacks.
I’m not sure what’s going to happen with this piece. Right now it’s folded up in a bag until I find somewhere to hang it up. I might add more to it, but it’s more likely that I’ll make a new one using a similar process.
Thanks for reading!