This past Friday I attended the Award Reception for the 2015 Roanoke College Biennial in Salem, VA. I had two pieces accepted into the show, which was juried by arts writer and curator Doug McClemont. There were so many great pieces included in the show and there was a great turnout for the reception. Read more
9″ x 12″
Ink + Oil pastel on brown craft paper
11″ x 14″
Watercolor + Gouache on watercolor paper
9″ x 12″
Acrylic + Oil stick on brown craft paper
11″ x 14″
Watercolor + Oil stick + Oil pastel on watercolor paper
9″ x 12″
Ink on brown craft paper
Untitled (Scrambled 2)
11″ x 14″
Acrylic on canvas paper
Untitled (Shape 2)
11″ x 14″
Acrylic + Oil pastel on canvas paper
While I was in Chicago, I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of feedback I received and consequently the number of ideas I had for my work. I wasn’t sure which path to go down and which method best suited my goals. This is how I was feeling when I had a studio visit with Gregg Bordowitz, the program director. I discussed my struggles with him, as well as my goals. He gave me tons of great advice, including one piece that became a major turning point for me.
About a week or two earlier, I had gone to a fabric shop and picked up this piece of bright red-orange polyester material from a clearance bin. I wasn’t sure what I would do with it, I was just drawn to the color. I hung it up in my studio like this for a while and didn’t touch it. During my meeting with Gregg, we looked at the material as we discussed creating a “yes” wall. His instructions were as follows: 1) For 3 or 4 days, say “yes” to everything. 2) The next day, say “no.” Cover things up and make conscious decisions about what you want to include. I was really excited to try it out and decided to use the red-orange material since it was already something I’ve never used before.
I had a lot of fun at first. I drew a large figure without worrying about proportions. I didn’t plan, I just painted. The fabric absorbed the paint quickly so I had to change the way I usually paint. The process was quick and pretty crude. I was happy with the piece so far and didn’t really want to add anything else, but it was my “yes” wall, so I forced myself to do more.
I added more things and started to like it less and feel stuck. I started becoming concerned with the composition and I thought that I had already put too many colors so I stepped away from it for a few days and worked on other things. I guess at this point I wasn’t following the directions anymore.
When I did come back to it, I was in the zone. I used different materials and added text, numbers, shapes, images, and texture. By the time I “finished”, it had become my favorite piece from the whole summer. I’m really proud of it.
Here is a list of the materials I used: acrylic paint (liquid, heavy bodied, and soft bodied), ink, oil pastel, oil stick, clear plastic, liquid watercolor, diabetic socks, medical tape, and thumbtacks.
I’m not sure what’s going to happen with this piece. Right now it’s folded up in a bag until I find somewhere to hang it up. I might add more to it, but it’s more likely that I’ll make a new one using a similar process.
Thanks for reading!
This is my “Yes Wall,” on which I do (almost) anything that I think of. It’s been a weird process, but I’ll have to talk about it later because my schedule today is pretty packed (per usual). I just want to give snippets of info on here so I remember to come back to them once I have time. Thanks for reading and have a nice weekend! xoxo
Faces are really hard for me to do. It’s easy when I’m drawing from a photograph and I can use a grid, but not so much when drawing from life. This became clearer to me this semester since I’ve been taking a figure drawing class. I’ve been pretty satisfied with the figure work I’ve done so far, really satisfied actually, but faces are a completely different story. I usually leave it for last and I’m rarely happy with the final product. I can’t even do my own face right. At least it doesn’t look right to me. I think its because there are so many small details on a fairly small plane that even the smallest mistakes make it look a bit awkward as a whole. In addition to this, everyone’s face, down to each individual feature, can greatly vary from one to the next. As the semester goes on, I’m going to try to pay more attention to these details in order to render them more accurately in my drawings. Happy drawing!